You’ve talked about starting a blog for a while now, so why not just do it? Does it seem too complicated? I want to prove to you today that creating a self-hosted WordPress blog is so easy, especially with the help of the one-click install that BlueHost offers. A self-hosted WordPress site allows you to have full control over your blog without limitations, something that free services can’t match.
To get started with a self-hosted WordPress blog, you’ll need to come up with a catchy domain name first. To keep things super simple, head on over to the BlueHost website and click the “Get Started Now” button. They offer a totally free domain name and a hosting package starts at just $2.95 a month* for I Can Build A Blog readers! That’s like a coffee or two! Their service is the only one I recommend and I even use it for this blog. You need to set up your hosting account before you can install WordPress to it, so….
1. Complete the signup forms to create your account. Once you have your login details, sign in to your BlueHost control panel and choose the “Install WordPress” option. 2. On the next page, choose Install. 3. Select the domain name you’d like to install WordPress to. You can install it into a directory if you like, such as yourdomain.com/blog, otherwise just leave the “directory” box blank: 4. Select Show Advanced Options and enter the name of your blog. You can also choose your own username and password instead of the default generated ones: 5. Select Install Now and your installation will be underway. When complete, choose View Credentials. The View Credentials page will show you your WordPress dashboard URL, username, and password. Whenever you want to create a new post and sign into the WordPress dashboard you will need to access it through this address.
6. Sign into your WordPress dashboard.
7. Create your first post! The sidebar of your WordPress dashboard contains all of your posting and settings tools. To create a post, just choose Posts > Add New.
8. Visit your Settings page to tweak the date/time options, comment settings, and permalink structures.
9. Your Appearance section is where you can upload WordPress Themes, add content to your sidebar, and more!
10. Browse through the huge repository of Plugins for special add-ons and features. That’s really all there is to it! Now you’re probably wondering why its taken you so long to set up your very own self-hosted WordPress blog, am I right!?
This post uses a BlueHost affiliate link in which this site earns a commission on each sign up, at no cost to you. This ensures you receive the premium hosting rate we are able to offer.